Thursday, March 13, 2008

Why NOT to ask your RNY Doc's Office about DS!

So, as I've said before, I was about to submit for insurance approval to have my RNY done when I saw the banner of a certain cookie loving DS'er that made me look over at this board (thanks Scott!). Well, I had several sets of medical records sent to my RNY doc's office and rather than resubmit requests to all those doctors to send stuff to my DS doc's (Dr. Lane) office I just called my RNY docs office and asked for copies.

Well, asking tipped off my RNY doc's office that something was up so I had to explain that I was looking into the DS. When I showed up at the office this afternoon to pick-up the copies the person there asked in a somewhat ominous tone, "have you actually researched that surgery?" As if to imply that there was something wrong with it. "Extensively," I said, and asked "have you?" She paused for a moment and then admitted "no."

As I drove home I got upset thinking about this: I was about to entrust my life to that office and they hadn't even taken the time to research ALL the options and present them to me. I think a presentation of all the options should be part of the informed consent process!

No comments:

Post a Comment