I made my way to Bowling Green to meet with Dr. Lane and his people last Friday. What a wonderful time I had.
My whirlwind tour began with a meeting with the nutritionist. She was the "backup" nutritionist and disappointed me in that she lacked a command of the dietary needs of Duodenal Switch patients. I had to correct her several times about things she said applied to Duodenal Switch patients that, in fact, only apply to RNY patients.
Next, I met with the bariatric internist. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about him. The Doctor examined me more thoroughly than I think I may ever have been. When he told me that he had no objection to me having the WLS I felt like I could REALLY trust that opinion.
My appointment with Dr. Lane himself was slotted for 4:00 PM. However, he was in surgery and wasn't able to meet with me until about 6:15. This in not a complaint, but rather a testament to his commitment to his patients. It's hard to find a doctor who will "burn the midnight oil" just to answer the questions of a patient who may, or may not, choose to have surgery with him. And burn we did. First, Dr. Lane took 45 minutes to explain the surgery and his approach to me. Then he took another half-hour or so answering the four and a half pages of single-spaced type written questions I had prepared and brought to him for review. And you know what? He answered each and every one of them with precision, accuracy, and professionally. He stayed with me until after 8 at night! And, I trust him. For me, that is critical, and I am SO glad I have found it.
Now, to notify the "other doctor" that I'll be getting a Duodenal Switch, not an RNY.
Monday, March 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment