Friday, March 14, 2008

DS Dreams Dashed by Damned Dimensions?

So I had my whirlwind tour through Dr. Lane's office today. I'll talk more about the visit later. But one thing in particular is really concerning me and I'd like some feedback.

Sometimes weight can be an issue with completing WLS without surgical complications. Although my weight is high, it is balanced out by my height. But, my height presents it's own issue. Being 6'8" means my torso is longer and rib cage more expansive. This means that my stomach will be further up into my rib cage. Also, positioning the small intestines as they need to be for the DS across such a long space is more technically complex. All this translates to a longer time on the table. Dr. Lane is concerned that this "extended stay" may cause rhabdomyolysis where the pressure on the muscles I am laying on may causes them to die and send me into kidney failure.

So he proposed that we do the DS in two steps. Gastrectomy first, followed (if needed) by the switch. Well, my insurance won't cover that. They cover the whole thing done in one shot or nothing at all. SO, he said we'll get approval for the DS in one-part and if he goes in and everything goes ok then he'll do the full DS. If, however, my body starts to break down because of the length I've been on the table then he'll tell my insurance company it was do half, or kill me.

I am nervous about only having 1/2 of the DS done. I am concerned that I'll wake up and not have what I hoped for. BUT, I KNOW that my LIFE is more important that expected results.

No comments:

Post a Comment