She came to see me all the way from Utah. Perhaps she didn't know the words to say how proud she was of me, but I already knew. This process is hard. It's scary. Having weight loss surgery marks the end of one chapter of your life and, as you transform, the page to the next chapter slowly turns. Your body and mind change and as they change the world around you seems to morph as well. I am not yet sure if people treat me differently or if it is me who sees them differently. With all this change it is important to surround yourself with people who give a damn.
A tap-tap-tap-tap, then a knock-knock-knock, finished with a SLAM-SLAM on my bedroom door! I was comfortated as she woke me in the morning. She always does when she comes to see me and she's the only person (other than my mother) who gets away with it. Her eyes see past to the me underneath, past the bits that cause shame and the painful parts. Again, just as she always has. I believe - and hope that I am right - that when a person goes through such a large transformation, like weight loss surgery, it is only their exterior that changes. That, at the base of it all, the person underneath is unchanged. She sees that person and there is solace in that. She gives a damn.
I thank God for friends like her. Friends that keep me gounded. Friends that will call me on my shit. Friends that will cry and celebrate with me. Find friends like these and hold tight to them with all you have!


No comments:
Post a Comment