Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Doctor knows best, but he don't know D!

Well, folks, I have fallen victim to something we have been told to do since we are children but which DS'ers are often cautioned against - I listened to my doctor. His coat was so white, and his degrees so prestigious. So, when his eyes when wide when I told him I was taking 50,000 IU of Vitamin D per day, I followed his advice and cut back to 50,000 IU every other day. Here are the results:

At three months my Vitamin D lab was:

Component Results

Component        Your ValueStandard RangeFlag
Vitamin D 25 Hydroxy44.731-80 ng/mL 
 Classification of 25 OH Vitamin D status:
Insufficiency/Moderate Deficiency: < or =" 30" style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: auto; margin-right: auto; margin-bottom: auto; margin-left: auto; ">Sufficiency/Optimal Levels: 31 to 80 ng/mL
Toxicity: > 100 ng/mL
Test performed by RIA methodology

At six months my Vitamin D lab was:

Component Results

Component        Your ValueStandard RangeFlag
Vitamin D 25 Hydroxy37.831-80 ng/mL 
 Classification of 25 OH Vitamin D status:
Insufficiency/Moderate Deficiency: < or =" 30" style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: auto; margin-right: auto; margin-bottom: auto; margin-left: auto; ">Sufficiency/Optimal Levels: 31 to 80 ng/mL
Toxicity: > 100 ng/mL
Test performed by RIA methodology

I know what you may be thinking: "Wonderful, he's within the standard range."  No, my friends, I don't see things that way.  What I see is that my Vitamin D level dropped 15.4% in three months.  That's 5% per month and, to me, an unacceptable declining trend.

From here forward, I will be taking no less than 50,000 IU PER DAY.  I will speak with my surgeon (Dr. Lane) to see how he feels about 100,000 IU per day.  

2 comments:

  1. Yeah I'm not listening to my peeps either on my supplements. My 3 mo. D level was a 43 so I'm hoping to maintain or increase that on my 6 mo labs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gold star! Don't take the status quo as the norm for us - we aren't normies any more!

    Just for reference, I take 150,000 IU's of the Bio Tech Dry D3-50 daily. It rocks - largely due to the fact that it WORKS.

    I had osteoporosis before my DS. I have osteopenia now - and it's trending the right direction. That's the kind of stuff I want to see!

    ReplyDelete