Thursday, March 5, 2009

Name Calling

The Bar Exam is behind me and... I'M BACK FRIENDS!

I am making great progress with my weight loss and am feeling wonderful.  I have appointments with my surgeon and doctor this month.  Plus, there will be blood work!  So, I'll have an update on the vitamin front for you all then.

For now, I have a "WOW" story for you.  A little over a year ago, in February 2008, I was shopping at CostCo.  As I was leaving, a little girl sitting in her mom's shopping cart exclaimed "mommy, that man is FAT!"  Now, any plump man or woman knows the embarrassment that can flow from the mouths of babes in public places.  We blush, we smile, we laugh it off.  But, in all actuality, it hurts.  For me I'd always think "you know kids are just really honest.  They're just saying what everybody is thinking."  This time was different.  This time, I had already planned to have my Duodenal Switch.  I knew that this would be the time when I would be successful.  And it was!

Fast forward by almost exactly a year.  I was shopping at CostCo the other day.  Past me comes two little boys in their mother's cart.  One of them turns wide-eyed and I know he's about to say something smart.  "Momma, that man's tall, he is very, very tall.  Momma how do you get that tall?"  I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

In a year I have gone from the "fat man" to the "tall man."  In a few months I will be one year our from my surgery.  I am 7 pounds from my first end-goal and 30 pounds away from my new goal - "normal" body weight.  Some people feel successful with a weight loss surgery where they loose 50% of their excess body weight.  I have lose 50% of my entire body weight and 90% of my excess body weight - WOW!

I love my DS.

2 comments:

  1. Great story Justin! The DS is an amazing life change. Cheers and congrats on both the Bar Exam and your awesome year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gold star! You've done so well, Justin!

    I remember being at the very same place and wondering what it would be like to be two years post-op, and three years post-op... and now I'm nearing the 7 years post-op mark! WOW! I would NEVER take back my DS - EVER - it was the all time best decisions I've ever made. I feel that way as strongly today as ever.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete